Probing magnetic sublattices in multiferroic Nd0.5Ho0.5Fe3(BO3)4 single crystal via hard x-ray magnetic circular dichroism
- Dr. Mikhail PLATUNOV
- Dr. Mikhail PLATUNOV (Kirensky Institute of Physics)
- Dr. Natalia KAZAK (Kirensky Institute of Physics)
- Dr. Vyacheslav DUDNIKOV (Kirensky Institute of Physics)
- Dr. Vladislav TEMEROV (Kirensky Institute of Physics)
- Dr. Andrei ROGALEV (ESRF-The European Synchrotron)
- Dr. Sergei OVCHINNIKOV (Kirensky Institute of Physics)
- Dr. Evgeniy EREMIN (Kirensky Institute of Physics)
We present an element-specific magnetizations study of the multiferroic Nd0.5Ho0.5Fe3(BO3)4 single crystal. Our experimental results confirm the coexistence of three magnetic subsystems (Fe, Ho, and Nd). It was found that the Ho magnetic moment undergoes the pronounced spin-reorientation transition. At the magnetic ield (less than 1 T) the Ho and Nd magnetization curves demonstrate different of the slopes indicating different strength of f-d exchange interactions with iron subsystem. It was shown that the Fe magnetic moment behave like a weak ferromagnet, but not antiferromagnetically. These magnetic findings are relevant to understand magnetism of Nd0.5Ho0.5Fe3(BO3)4 single crystal and other multiferroic ferroborates.
This study was supported in part by the grants of the Council for Grants of the President of the Russian Federation (SP-938.2015.5, NSh-7559.2016.2), the Russian Foundation for Basic Research (project nos. 16-32-60049 mol_a_dk, 16-32-00206 mol_a). The work of first author (M.P.) was supported by the grant of KSAI ‘‘Krasnoyarsk Regional Fund of Supporting Scientific and Technological Activities’’ and by the program of Foundation for promoting the development of small enterprises in scientific and technical sphere (“UMNIK” program).