Investigation of the structure and composition of annual layers in varve sediments of glacial lakes Donguz-Orun (Caucasus) and Kucherlinskoye (Altai)
- Mr. Fedor DARIN
- Mr. Fedor DARIN (Budker Institute of Nuclear Physics SB RAS)
- Dr. Yakov RAKSHUN (Budker Institute of Nuclear Physics)
- Mr. Dmitry SOROKOLETOV (Budker Institute of Nuclear Physics SB RAS)
- Dr. Olga SOLOMINA (Insititute of Geography)
- Dr. Roman SENIN (NRC «Kurchatov Institute»)
- Dr. Alexey SEREGIN (NRC «Kurchatov Institute»)
- Mr. Andrey GOGIN (NRC «Kurchatov Institute»)
- Dr. Andrey DARIN (Sobolev Institute of Geology and Mineralogy SB RAS)
Models of the annual cycle of sedimentation in glacial lakes are necessary for constructing paleoclimatic reconstructions with high time resolution. Samples of bottom sediments of two glacial lakes - Donguz-Oron (Caucasus) and Kucherlinskoye (Altai) - were studied for obtaining the necessary information. The bottom sediments cores were received during field work using special samplers (box-corer). The preparation of solid samples for measurements was carried out by a vacuum drying technique and impregnated with epoxy resin . Measurement of the elemental composition was carrying out on experimental module X-ray Confocal Microscopy  situated on NRC “Kurchatov Institute”. The experimental parameters are excitation energy 20 keV, the size of the excitation radiation spot on the sample is 20 μm, the scanning step is 20 μm, the measurement time at the point is 10 sec. Each investigated annual layer was crossed by a profile of 25-75 points. This investigation result in creation a model for the accumulation of microelements during the annual cycle of sedimentation. Additional information on the structure of annual layers was obtained using the X-ray microtomography method on the experimental station “RT-MT” at KSRS . This work was partially supported by RFBR project № 18-55-53016 and № 17-35-50115.
- Dar’in, A.V., Kalugin, I.A., Maksimov, M.A. et al.// Scanning X-ray fluorescence microanalysis of annual layers in samples of Lake Shira bottom sediments// Bull. Russ. Acad. Sci. Phys. (2013) 77: 185.
- Sorokoletov D.S., Rakshun Y.V., Darin F.A. // The spread function of a polycapillary lens and a confocal x-ray microscope in retuning its confocal volume// Optoelectronics, Instrumentation and Data Processing. 2015. Т. 51. № 3. С. 293-301.
- Senin R.A., Khlebnikov A.S., Vyazovetskova A.E., Blinov I.A., Golubitskii A.O., Kazakov I.V., VorobEv A.A., Mukhamedzhanov E.Kh., Kovalchuk M.V., Buzmakov A.V., Asadchikov V.E., Shishkov V.A. // Upgraded x-ray topography and microtomography beamline at the kurchatov synchrotron radiation source// Crystallography Reports. 2013. Т. 58. № 3. С. 517-522.